1. Stay away from the fruit bowl. On a hot summer day out at a party, it can be tempting to beeline for the fruit bowl as a wholesome and refreshing choice. BBQ parties typically start mid afternoon and go on into evening, meaning that fruit is not the most ideal beauty food after you have already fired up your digestive system and already eaten heavier foods. Snack on veggie sticks instead. Fruits are made of simple sugars and water and break down really quickly in your digestive tract.
In order to avoid a digestive disaster, and to keep your system running smoothly I recommend abstaining from the fruit during anyof your summer celebrations. If you must, have a few slices of fruit first thing, before you get into the heartier parts of your meal. The last thing you want to do is back your system and bloat out with rotting fruit by piling it in after lunch or a midday snack. Trust me on this one; there are better options that will leave you feeling better in the long term.
2. Choose your salad wisely. BBQ’s can be quite the occasion for a variety of salads, including pasta salad, potato salad, and green salad. While many of these traditional barbeque dishes are delicious, many contain unfavorable ingredients that can irritate your stomach, and can lead to bloating and future breakouts and clogged skin. The green salad should always be your go-to starter salad. If you are feeling particularly hungry, pile your plate up with the house salad they are offering and munch down all the live green yummy minerals and enzymes. Stay away from heavy cream based dressings like Ranch or Caesar.
Uncertain about the dressing or if there will be a salad? Feel free to pack a large salad for the party to eat with your meal. That way you can still get your nutrients without it seeming weird or unusual that you’re bringing food. At all costs, avoid the potato salad! Any meal packed with 2 cups of mayonnaise and a carton of curdled cottage cheese is something that will most certainly bring down your beauty. Why don’t you start a new tradition and make a pasta salad for everyone with quinoa pasta, which is a much more nutritious and gluten-free grain?
3. One meat or veggie burger. It is important for our health goals to limit meat consumption to once daily, if at all. The reason being because land animals such as chicken, cows etc. have tougher muscle than sea animals meaning that it erodes our digestive energy as we work extra hard to break down complex amino acids. Under no circumstances should you mix types of meats. If you are going to eat meat, choose one type and stick with it. Traditional style hot dogs are basically a medley of low-quality meat trimmings and bi-products, toxins and preservatives. I really urge you to give those up once and for all. If you don’t eat meat like me, opt for some delicious alternatives. I love veggie skewers, mushroom burgers.
Regardless of your protein choice, skip any and all buns. Buns are practically a tennis ball of sugar disguised as bread. It will be much easier on your stomach and better for your skin to forgo the traditional hamburger and instead pair your proteins with vegetables.
4. For beverages, Keep it Simple. When it comes to drinks, there are tons of enticing but not beautiful options that can be found at a barbeque. Avoid sugary fruit punches, margueritas, light beers, and sodas at all costs. There are plenty of favorable options that can achieve that same “ahhh” refreshing feeling while not setting you back in your beauty detox.
In order of most to least preferable, try these drinks instead:
1. Plain Water dressed up with a slice of orange, lemon or cucumber for taste. This will be a zesty twist on a drink integral to your bodily function.
2. Beauty detox friendly lemonade. I make this drink all the time in restaurants and on the go. Squeeze about a quarter to a half lemon’s worth of juice into a cup of water and add stevia or xyitol to taste. It is delicious, sweet, and it mobilizes of all the digestive enzymes in the lemon juice for use in your body.
3. Vodka, soda water and lime. That’s it, no more no less. If you must, Vodka is probably the least worst alcohol for the body. The lemon or other citrus you have avail (grapefruit, orange etc.) should take the bitter edge off of the vodka.
5. Portioning & BBQ Strategy- Try not to eat all day, but instead have one healthy-sized meal albeit lunch or dinner and spend the rest of the time socializing instead of eating. Grazing accelerates aging! It ensures that we are perpetually packing food on top of undigested foods which increases the chance of putrefaction and gas. You will also end up eating more. Ultimately this means increases toxicity and quicker aging! Remember to eat lightest to heaviest both during meals and throughout the day.